NetApp Teams with VMware, AWS to Help Customers Modernize and Scale Enterprise Workloads on the Cloud
Amazon FSx for NetApp ONTAP is the only native AWS cloud storage service today to be certified and supported as a supplemental datastore for VMware Cloud for AWS
With this new datastore solution, enterprises can quickly, easily and cost-effectively move their enterprise, data-demanding workloads to VMware Cloud on AWS. This allows organizations to scale cloud storage independent of cloud compute to optimize costs, deploy new modern applications with the speed and scalability of the cloud, and maximize the value of their existing IT investments. Additionally, organizations can gain access to the rich data management, protection, and efficiency benefits of ONTAP utilized by nearly twenty thousand VMware customers running on-premises today.
“Our strong relationship, deep integration and joint innovation with both VMware and AWS hits another milestone, which helps make it easier for organizations to efficiently move enterprise workloads to the cloud,” said
“The majority of enterprises today run workloads on a VMware platform. Whether that is on premises or in VMware Cloud on AWS, they want to be able to leverage consistency in operations and architecture,” said
New benefits from this certified and supported offering include improved:
- Speed: Migrate data-demanding on-premises vSphere-based workloads with NetApp or non-NetApp storage to VMware Cloud on AWS with reduced complexity – leveraging consistent VMware-to-VMware migration for workloads combined with the speed, performance and simplicity of ONTAP via Amazon FSx for NetApp ONTAP.
- Cost Control: Scale VMware Cloud compute independent of cloud storage to optimize cost at scale for demanding workloads combined with the rich data efficiency features of ONTAP to control cost at scale, including dedupe, compression, compaction, and thin provisioning.
- Efficiency: Leverage existing VMware-centric resource investments including people, processes and technologies from on-premises and on the cloud for consistency of operations.
In addition, partners of NetApp, VMware and AWS can benefit from this innovation to expand their current offerings around VMware Cloud in multiple ways:
- Unlock new business for hybrid and cloud-native workloads through breaking down cost barriers to migrating enterprise workloads through right-sizing cloud compute and cloud storage.
- Expand existing cloud services helping customers plan, design, deploy and optimize enterprise hybrid and cloud-native solutions for data-demanding workloads.
- Reduce risk for their clients through integrated and supported cloud solutions from NetApp and VMware to help customers migrate, extend or protect enterprise workloads to the cloud with confidence.
“As a leading multi-brand provider of full stack IT solutions, our customers rely on us to deliver solutions and services to help them manage their most data-demanding workloads,” said
Amazon FSx for NetApp ONTAP provides fully managed shared storage on AWS with the popular data access and management capabilities of ONTAP. The solution allows organizations to easily migrate applications and run them on AWS, with ONTAP’s enterprise-grade storage workflows and data management capabilities, regardless of their on-premises storage provider.
Amazon FSx for NetApp ONTAP supplemental datastore for VMware Cloud on AWS is available today.
- VMware Announcement
- Blog: Announcing VMware Cloud on AWS integration with Amazon FSx for NetApp ONTAP
- Blog: The Power of Partnerships: Taking Multi-Cloud Mainstream
- Amazon FSx for NetApp ONTAP
NetApp is a global, cloud-led, data-centric software company that empowers organizations to lead with data in the age of accelerated digital transformation. The company provides systems, software and cloud services that enable them to run their applications optimally from data center to cloud, whether they are developing in the cloud, moving to the cloud, or creating their own cloudlike experiences on premises. With solutions that perform across diverse environments, NetApp helps organizations build their own data fabric and securely deliver the right data, services, and applications to the right people—anytime, anywhere. Learn more at www.netapp.com or follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Instagram.
NETAPP, the NETAPP logo, and the marks listed at www.netapp.com/TM are trademarks of
VMware and vSphere are registered trademarks or trademarks of VMware, Inc. or its subsidiaries in